Jido where a Confucian temple stands
Jido eup, Shinan-gun is located at the southern tip of Muan Peninsula and 66km away from Mokpo (longitude 35.08° east). It faces eastward to Haeje-myeon, Muangun, westward to Imja-myeon, southward to Jaeun-myeon and Iphae-myeon and northward to Nakwol-myeon, Youngkwanggun across the sea. It is composed of 5 inhabited islands and 41 uninhabited islands and the total coastline is 196km (16% of the county).
Songdo Fish Market
Achievement Memorial Stones
In 1914 Jido gun was abolished by Japanese Annexation to Korea and became Jido-myeon and belonged to Muan gun. Until then, for 17 years, Jido gun exerted its county power. Currently, it belongs to Shinan-gun and back in 1980, it was promoted to eup. In February, 1975, it was connected to the land of Haeje-myeon, Muan gun,
As a historic & cultural heritage, there is Jido Confucian temple built in 1898 in accordance with the regulation of "building 1 Confucian temple in 1 gun(county)" when Jido gun was newly set up by the administrative reorganization in 1896 during King Gojong of Chosun. 27 monuments standing side by side located slightly away from the dock in Eupnae-ri are also worthwhile to take a look at. Gray mullet-fishing from the bank of the bridge connecting between Jido and Haeje is also popular. Basses and gray mullets are fished well in Godongdo and as for fresh water fishing, Bongriji is famous and carps and fresh water eels are well taken. As Jido's specialty, the rice from the reclaimed land (Mother Hometown Rice) with good quality is famous.